Monday, June 30, 2008

Review of Gloom Cookie, Volume 1


I'm not really a comic book fan. I don't have anything against them; I just haven't pursued getting into comics. A girl can only have so many obsessive interests, you know?

However, the MOH lent me this book, so I figured she had a good reason. Also, Neil Gaiman recommended it, according to Amazon. Did it change my feelings about comic books? Not really, but I enjoyed it well enough.

Gloom Cookie is a semi-satire about the goth culture, with fantastical elements thrown in. The plots in this first volume felt a little convoluted, but showed promise. I did like the artwork, but I discovered that I had a hard time keeping track of the characters, except for the evil queen character and the main character, Lex. The rest of the time, I had to think, "what was that guy's name again? And is it the same guy as on this other page?" I'm not sure if that's the comic's fault, or mine (as a person not used to visual literature).

One thing that bugged the crap out of me is that there were many, many, many typos. I just couldn't help but notice them. Some of them I corrected in pencil, since I figured the MOH would laugh about it, but there were so many, I just couldn't do them all. Really, this book is an argument for "Everyone needs a proofreader. Everyone."

However, the story was sweet and easy to read and I liked looking at the goths. It took me all of an hour to read it. The MOH has promised to lend me the next installment, and I have hopes that it will be better, or at least less typo-ridden.

No comments: