Monday, February 9, 2009

Review of When You Are Engulfed In Flames


I almost forgot to review this one!

I love David Sedaris. I've read all of his books and have seen a few of his readings. He is hilarious. So of course I joined the long, long line of library patrons waiting for this book.

As I was reading I was surprised to find that many of the essays were familiar to me. "Have I already read this?" I wondered. But then I realized that what I was remembering included his voice reading the stories, so he must have read these the last time I saw him, which was a few years ago. Although I enjoyed this book a ton, the funniest stories were the ones I'd already heard, which was a little sad. Still, I loved the book. What's great about David Sedaris is his utter fascination with people and their behavior. It makes you just as fascinated. And the fact that he is apparently completely socially awkward just makes the whole thing better.

I totally recommend this one if you are not squeamish or worried about profanity...he loves gross stuff, too. And foul-mouthed people.


No comments: