Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Review of Offbeat Bride: Taffeta-Free Alternatives for Independent Brides


Okay, I've been reading the Offbeat Bride blog for months now and thoroughly enjoying it, so I thought I'd read the book, too.

This book was a quick, easy read. I really enjoyed the author's candid confessions and sometimes blunt language--I actually laughed aloud while I was reading this. Reading this book is like having a conversation with your girlfriends, which makes it very unlike the other wedding books out there.

In terms of actual wedding advice that I'd use, I don't know that I gained anything there. The author approaches it less like, "this is how you should do it" than, "this is how I did it, and here are a few extra ideas that you might consider." It did confirm my decision not to get entangled in the wedding industrial complex, but I also have girlfriends who can confirm that!

Even though I didn't come away with tons of ideas for my own wedding, I really enjoyed this one. I highly recommend it to any Offbeat Bride--the author's a great writer, and her book is funny and moving and honest.


No comments: