Wednesday, July 30, 2008

FPO*

We were at dinner with some friends last night and I mentioned that Mr. T and I were going ring shopping this weekend.

"Wait," one of them said, "You don't have a ring?" I held out my left hand and explained that it was a "placeholder" ring (because I am HM and demanded that I pick out my own).

"Oh, it's FPO," someone said, and we all laughed. And then I couldn't believe we didn't think of that joke earlier, with Mr. T being a designer and me being in book publishing. If our trip Saturday is successful, we won't be able to use it for much longer, so I thought I'd put it up here, along with a helpful image:

I love designer/book geek humor. There's a great video about fonts here; if you're as geeky as we are you'll love it.

*Note: FPO means "for position only." This term is used when a designer or typesetter doesn't have final art or photos, but puts an image in the document/website/etc. to show size and placement, or sometimes just to hold space so that when the real image comes in, the text won't have to move around--the FPO is the exact same size as the real image, so you just swap the files.


No comments: