Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Review of I Love You, Beth Cooper


This is another vacation read. The author used to write for the Simpsons, and the cover looked great (there are actually versions of this drawing used all throughout the book), so I had high hopes for this one.

I was not disappointed. It was a totally entertaining trip through one teen's graduation night. Denis is his high school's valedictorian, and uses his speech at the graduation to tell everyone (gently) what he thinks of them, and then confess his unrequited love for the head cheerleader, Beth Cooper.

The head cheerleader ends up showing up at his house that night for his "party" (consisting of him and his one geeky friend) with two other cheerleaders, promptly followed by Beth's army boyfriend and two of his thug friends, and a hilarious chase through the town (including a gas station, the high school locker room, another party, and a lake house) ensues. Meanwhile Denis and Beth actually get to know each other.

They don't quite end up happily ever after, but it's close enough to leave those of us who like a happy ending satisfied, but not close enough so that it's a typical book ending.

I saw this book playing out in my head while I read it, like a 16 Candles type movie. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the theaters someday.

I recommend this one as light and fun summer reading. Or winter reading. Or Fall. Really, it's entertaining and worth it.

No comments: