Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Review of Certain Girls


I took three books on vacation and finished 2 and started the third...still not sure if I'm ever going to finish the third, but that's another post.

The first book was Certain Girls. I had been on the library waiting list for this one for like, forever. Chick lit is very popular at the library, apparently.

I picked this one because I read its predecessor, Good In Bed, and liked the snarky plus-sized heroine. However, my one word review for Certain Girls: Meh.

The snark has all but disappeared from our heroine as she plays wife and mother. The book alternates between two narrators: Cannie, the boring housewife and worried mom, and her whiny teenage daughter, whose name I can't remember now. The daughter is approaching her bat mitzvah and chafing at her mother's constraints, the mother is worried about the daughter's grades dropping...blah, blah, blah. Of course it all comes around at the end to a kind of resolution, and we do see one or two snarky comments, but this portrayal of a suburban family is not quite what I signed up for. If I hadn't been trapped on a plane with it for hours, I'm not sure I would've made it. But I did.

So, meh. Not worth the wait.

No comments: