Sunday, September 7, 2008

Review of Blood Is The New Black


I can't remember how I heard about this one. Possibly Jen Lancaster's blog, or maybe just through random associations on Amazon. It's a takeoff on Ugly Betty/The Devil Wears Prada, only this time, the hapless intern working at the fashion magazine discovers she's working in an office full of vampires! She also discovers that the 10 "winners" of the magazine's recent model contest will actually be killed, not photographed for the next issue, so she goes about trying to save the potential victims, getting help from a hot guy who also turns out to be a vamp, her best friend, and her estranged mother who (of course) also turns out to be a vampire. But a good one.

I don't have a ton to say about this one--it was fun, it was trashy chick lit, it was a good summer read. The writing wasn't terrible, and it kept me entertained. Still, it was just fluffy enough that I don't think I'll be picking up the inevitable sequel. But you never know. Perhaps I'll be in an airport someday and pick it up for a quick read on the flight.

One interesting thing about this book was the list I found at the back of it--some library patron had forgotten to retrieve her shopping list, which contained typical items like "triscuits, cheddar, jalapeno's" [sic], as well as fancy items such as champagne and a couple of bizarre things. "Masks" was listed twice; the first time as "masks-underwear" and the second as "masks!!" WTF? Also on the list were the following:
transoms
high ceilings
large windows
shaded porches
thick walls

huh?
I'm considering submitting it to Found Magazine.

1 comment:

Pica Maloria said...

Dunno if you have HBO - but I just watched the new Sookie Stackhouse TV show "True Blood". Bill is hotter than I pictured him, Sam is not as hot as I pictured him... and the sex is *whoa* graphic. Particularly when watchign it with friends... I dunno how I feel about it. I always have a hard time separating the books from the movie/show I'm watching.